Sunday 5 July 2015

blue eyed, smooth arms, still got that gorgeous smile.

my baes ever since I was a bae.
"Pandai," he says, with admiration in his eyes, a smile lingering on his lips and his face aglow with pride that can only be expressed in light years. His glazed blue rimmed eyes looks at the nearly twenty year old soul who graced their presence that evening. He has had everything in his life, a wife, daughters and a son, a job, a legacy and grandchildren.

"Pandai," he repeats, with more reassurance in his voice. With a firm nod, he eyes flickered over this girl who was once bossy, sassy and spent too much time leaving her hand-drawn stories in their three-room apartment. The little girl who demanded sweets to be bought, bedtimes to be extended and sleepovers to go on because she ,"wasn't done with my third storybook! I can't leave yet! I CANNOT!" The little girl who'd run into the bed and cover herself with the bolster that left the smell of old comforters and the nineties life. "I'm asleep," she mumbles, clearly wide awake.

"I'm sick of white rice!"

In two minutes, she's sat on the front dining chair, eating her rice and gravy. Potatoes, are the best, she purrs. Can I have ice cream? From downstairs?

They come up with three packets of twisties, tomato, because, "it's my favourite!", the red BBQ rollercoasters and the blue cheese one because, "they're both good!". She climbs up on his lap and demands his attention, "read my book, it has two more stories she whispers, her eyes alive with the innocence of her future.

As she heads to bed, she sniffs her hands, that lavender and rose store brand soap. It was lemon and lime the last time. She climbs onto the low bed, and hugs her pillow, the one she shares with her older cousin, he simply left it when they moved out, so it's mine now. She strokes the soft cover, and breathes in the smell of Nenek's fabric softener.

Tomorrow won't come until I wake up. I won't wake up until I finish my dreams! So, I will dream long dreams tonight!

And she did just that.


visit your grandparents soon, and tell me about it,
Nurul xx