Saturday 22 March 2014

#thehalalway

"For my dear Muslim youths, I usually tell them to veer off from such relationships but even if they were to want one at least the halal way would do." – Zulhafiz



This was how the hashtag, "thehalalway" was started. I completely agree with what brother Zulhafiz mentioned in his answers regarding muslims and relationships. Since I was already posting my drawings on twitter, I started #thehalalway drawings as a reminder for my muslim friends who were already in relationships.

However, the only halal relationship in Islam between a male and female non-mahrams, is marriage, yes, and most of us are well-aware of that fact. So how do you deal with this, if you are already in a "relationship". The answer is simple, nikah. However, it's may not be so simple for some.

Why?

"Oh, our parents don't know about us,"

This reason. Be it the parents on the guy's side or the girl's side or both, this reason is why the simple solution, has become complicated. I have one piece of advice to the muslims who are in relationships that their parents or their other half's parents are unaware of:

Tell them.
Be open, be honest to your parents. They want the best for you too. Yes, this is much easier said than done, but are you going to continue this relationship behind your parents' backs? Your parents who trust you to do the right thing every time you leave the house? Your parents who provided you with your education, made time for your happiness, looked after you growing up?

Your parents have put so much effort, strength and love to bring you up into the person that you are today. Have you ever considered, without my parents' dedication to me, I might have not met my boyfriend/girlfriend. Regardless of where and how and when you met them, be it school, work, the internet- who contributed the most? Who sent you to school? Who provided you with resources to access the internet? As you're reading this, right now, don't you think you owe your parents the truth?

They trust you.

Tell them. Just tell them.
Or are you going to wait a few years...but answer me this,
Who guaranteed you tomorrow?

Allah is All-Seeing, All-Knowing.



Stay honest and loving,
Nurul xx