Sunday 6 October 2013

VSA ❤



Oh man, there are too many memories to squeeze into one post.
Sigh.

Yes! VSA!
Very Special Arts

What an experience...
Basically, a group of us SOTA students conducted pottery workshops for VSA students as a form of art therapy and so that they could pick up a new skill in the Arts. It was a one-to-one basis, so each of us got one VSA student to teach. There were other volunteers (who weren't from SOTA, but were interested in joining our program) who helped teach the students too.

Before we were assigned our students, one of the staff from VSA prepped us on how to deal with students with disability. The VSA students who joined our workshop were either autistic or had learning disabilities. Every student was different; meaning, the type or severity of their disability varied.

Joey, my student, is a 19 year old who is bright, lovely and extremely easy to be with. I am ever so thankful that I was assigned to her.

She picks up the techniques very quickly, and is very eager to correct her mistakes. I found it very easy to work with her, and I was enjoying the workshops more and more every session.

I have learnt so much throughout the course of the workshops, about how to be a better and more patient person and how to deal with students that had disabilities. It opened up my eyes to a whole new perspective about disabilities.  These people are extremely gifted, despite the circumstances, and it is so heartwarming to see them so enthusiastic on improving themselves.

I learnt a lot about myself, too.

All in all, it was a really meaningful CAS project.

Stay inspired,
Nurul xx